The Harnisch Family

The Harnisch Family

Apr 28, 2012

Special Olympics NE Promo

The other day we received a phone call from Laura with Special Olympics.  She asked if Macy (and her mom & dad) would be available to be a part of a filming for a new Special Olympics NE video.   She told me this promo, along with others, would be a part of the opening ceremonies and be played during the Creighton game at TD Ameritrade Park.
ummm.. cool!
You bet she'll be there  :)

I was a teeny bit hesitant as she's recovering from a yucky Viral Infection and still has an unsightly rash on her cheek....but I thought, oh well, who care's right?...
Apparently "an invitation was extended to Macy from YAP"...she was sought out specifically to be among several other individuals chosen for the promos.  How sweet is that?!?

Everyone associated with SONE are wonderful...
When we arrived at the studio we were energetically greeted with a "there she is!"  "Is this the FAMOUS Miss Macy?".  "She's so cute!". 
I think we have the fine folks of US Bank to thank for that...their Polar Plunge team raised an impressive amount of money for Special Olympics...and many (Aunt Keri included) used Macy's picture and shared her story on their respective fundraising pages.  :)
that's Macy in the lower left hand corner.  she was centered in the shot .02 seconds ago...FAST little booger!
The fact that I used to work in the media industry, you'd think that this would have been no big deal...I mean it's not exactly my first time in a TV studio...and I've always kinda had visions of my future kiddos being used as "extras" in local TV spots, etc...cheap talent right?  But if you would have asked me a couple years ago, never in a million years would I have thought my child would be featured in a Special Olympics promo...as an athlete!  Kind of surreal really.
Macy felt right at home in that big studio - standing in front of the bright lights, cameras & giant green screen...she even signed & said "thank you" right on cue (not sure if she was smiling for that one though)...
I used to work at Cox, so I felt right at home as well...it was also especially nice to have a couple familiar faces (Matt & Troy) shooting and producing spot. 
thanks Special Olympics NE for inviting us to be a part of this shoot!

I guess we'll just have to wait & see if she makes the cut.

photo courtesy:  PlanitOmaha - the company who helped SONE produce the promos.
_______________________
Initially, I was a little bummed that this shoot was taking place at the exact same time as her Munroe Meyer Speech & Language Disorder class...across town at UNMC.  It's kind of hard to be in two places at once.  I made the choice to participate in the shoot (not every day right?).  BUT...we got there early and they brought us back right away.  We were in and out!  And were able to make class too...only a few minutes late!  Awesome!
Macy studying the picture card hard as usual.
I continue to be amazed by her overall attention span & level of engagement.  The girl BLOWS me away every day!
There are 7 kids in this particular class - 3 of which have Down Syndrome.
As you know, us parents observe from an adjacent room through one-way mirrored windows.  I overheard a mom of one of the other boys.  She was whispering to another that
"those Downs kids are really good and super attentive...they are like the "head of the class".

Now...Even though I wasn't supposed to hear it....and would have liked if she would have used "people-first" language...I got over it and was instantly flattered at her sweet comment. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment